Hiragana and Katakana?

I started learning Hiragana yesterday, but when I look around for a Japanese song, show, anime or whatever in Japanese, I notice Hiragana isn't used that much, I've heard some people learn Katakana first instead of Hiragana, I was wondering if you guys thought it would be acceptable to learn Katakana before Hiragana?

For learning: Japanese

Answers

It would be fine to do that, but you'll find that a lot more learning material for beginners will be written in Hiragana, and that katana will be very rare at first. In my opinion, you're better off with hiragana.

Here's some additional information though: Japanese sentences are usually a mix of hiragana, katakana and kanji. Despite your impressions of Japanese so far, every sentence is pretty much guaranteed to have a bit of hiragana (following normal orthographic conventions, that is).

I answered a question about the uses of all three writing systems a little while ago, and it might be useful to you.

http://www.italki.com/answers/question/171532.htm

Good luck learning Japanese!

I think you need to learn Hiragana first. Because it is very important to understand Hiragana in Japanese. Children also learn Hiragana first.