Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

추워요 vs 춥네요 vs 춥지요

I'm trying to understand the nuanced differences with the 네요 and 지요 endings.

If I am on the phone with a friend and they ask about the weather, I could respond with 추워요 to give them a simple answer or with 춥네요 if it's colder than I thought or I was expecting warm weather, but I wouldn't use 춥지요 because they aren't with me and so they don't know what the weather is... 맞아요?

But if I am standing next to a friend, I wouldn't use the obvious 추워요, but would instead use 춥죠 because my friend already knows it's cold and I'm just reaffirming it, right? Could I also use 춥네요 with my friend if we weren't expecting it to be this cold?

Also, in general, can the -네요 and 지요/죠 forms be used as either questions or statements? A lot of the examples I see with 지요 include "isn't it?" in the translation because the speaker is kind of asking for confirmation. But the way I say this in English - "It's cold, isn't it?" - I'm not really looking for an answer.

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker

☞ 맞아요.^^'

But if I am standing next to a friend, I wouldn't use the obvious 추워요, but would instead use 춥죠 because my friend already knows it's cold and I'm just reaffirming it, right?
    ☞ 맞아요.

Could I also use 춥네요 with my friend if we weren't expecting it to be this cold?
    ☞ Yes, you can.
    (생각보다) 춥네요 = It's cold (than we expected)

Also, in general, can the -네요 and 지요/죠 forms be used as either questions or statements?
    ☞ The ending, -죠(which is short for -지요) can be used in both.
    ☞ The ending -네요 is only used in plain statemens.

A lot of the examples I see with 지요 include "isn't it?" in the translation because the speaker is kind of asking for confirmation. But the way I say this in English - "It's cold, isn't it?" - I'm not really looking for an answer.
    ☞ Yes, it is. it works like "Tag Questions" in English.

\^o^/