How many ways of saying "you" Are there in Korean?

I know a few ways such as 당신, 너 and 그대. I've heard many others but which are commonly used? And polite?

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    From my experience, in a formal, polite context, it's best to use the person's name, followed by 씨. You might also use the person's title, such as 선생님, 부장님, etc. You generally wouldn't say "you" in a formal situation, particularly to someone of a higher status/level or older age than you. For family members, you'd call them by 엄마, 아빠, 할머니, etc.
    당신, 자기, these mean "you" in an intimate way; 자기 and 여보 generally between boyfriend and girlfriend, or husband and wife; 자기 can be used in a very close friendship, but usually from the older person to the younger, and pretty much only among women. 당신 can be used if the person is generally the same level as you, but still not a really close relationship. I've heard it used more in television or in movies; I've also heard it used in real life, but in a more ironic manner. 당신 can also be used in a romantic relationship. 그대 is almost always used in song lyrics or poetry, rarely in real life settings. 자네 is "you" to someone on a lower level, but usually by people who are a little advanced in age. 너 is the basic, common, casual, friendly "you," but only to someone of an equal or lower age, and usually only if the relationship is close. You wouldn't use it to a good friend if the friend is older; in that case, you'd say something like 언니, 오빠, or 선배, depending on where you met them, and depending on how much older they are. Of course, if it's agreed beforehand, you might be able to say 너 to someone older than you, but it's very, very rare.
    There are more nuances to this than I can explain, but I hope that helps answer your question. In short, you really wouldn't say "you" to someone older than you, only to someone your age or younger.