When best to use 对 correctly

I understand 对 can link a subject, object, and a verb, is it always important to use it in these situations? For example

他对我笑 is better than 他笑于我?

what about the phrase "Will you teach me?" would that be said, "你要对我教吗?" or can you also say "你要教我吗?"

when do you NOT need 对? Obviously If I'm saying "I drink tea" I don't have to say "我对茶喝。“ Is it only when two people are involved and one's actions is direct at the other?

Answers

1.the preposition“对” use man few times, when you face to somebody,you can say "对“ or "对着” or ”面对“,it is always used in spoken languange, and "于” always in written words.
    2. when man says laugh is intransitive verb,da prespositon "对“ must here used. and teach sb. sth.,teach is a transitive verb, so "你要教我吗?” is correct.

1.对 means “to”.他对我笑=He smiled to me.(We don't say 他笑于我)
    2.Will you teach me?=你要教我吗?(We don't say 你要对我教吗 because there is no "to" here)
    3.We don't say 我对茶喝,either.We say 我喝茶.
    All in all,you just need to remember "对" means “to”.
    For example:对我很重要=important to me,对我了某事=do something to me.
    Glad to answer your question!I am a teacher on italki.Hope to meet you.

"对"can be used as noun ,verb ,adv ,adj ,quantifier,preposition
    give you some examples
    1,The house faces the street.这房子对(verb)着大街/The milk has been adulterated with water. 牛奶里对(verb)水了。
    2,it's her fault.是她的不对(adj)/the bank is on the other side of the river银行在这条河的对面
    3,wedding couplet喜对(n)(红双喜)
    4,a married couple一对(quantifier)夫妇
    5,she smiled at me 她对(prep)我笑了
    so , you can say "你要教我吗?"not “你要对我教吗?"
    in addition,we say 我泡茶喝not 我对茶喝 in china .you can say 对水喝
    glad to answer your question ,i hope i can help you .