Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

What does it mean?

You're hysterical.

Does it mean "You're effusive."?

Answers

No, it means you are panicking and acting in a crazy, irrational manner.

I do not think so.

My dictionary tells me that "effusive" is usually used in a positive manner: showing happiness in a very emotional manner.

a) Let's say that you voted for Mr.X and he wins. You would then have an effusive reaction: you would shout with happiness, you would smile all day, and you might even buy everyone in your office a cup of coffee.

I think that the word "hysterical" is usually used in a negative manner. It means that you have lost control.
    That you have temporarily gone crazy. You are unable to think.

b) Let's say that you are a pilot of an airplane that starts to have trouble. Well, as a professional pilot, it is your job to stay calm, to think of the best thing to do in such an emergency. But if a pilot became hysterical,. he might yell," We are going to die!" and he might run up and down the aisle of the airplane screaming and yelling and crying.

You're hysterical = You're over emotional/ emotionally overwrought/agitated.