what is the meaning of the expression: "following their deeds back home" in this sentence?

in the 19th-century British Empire, administrators and the public following their deeds back home clung to these historical excuses for ‘domestic slavery’ in very different society.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "Paying attention to" or "hearing about" the administrators' actions, while in England.

"Following" is used to mean "intentionally observing" information.
    --- "I follow my local sports team."

"Deeds" means "actions" or "exploits" here.
    --- "The man performed many heroic deeds."

"Back home" is describing the location where the public is - in the British homeland of England, away from where the subject of the sentence is currently located.
    ---"When I was in France, I could not stop thinking about my wife and children back home."

To me it would mean that in the 19th century the administrators (politicians) and public (local people)

following their deeds back home (did what they usually did in England)

clung to these historical excuses for ‘domestic slavery’ in very different society.
    (continued to make excuses for domestic slavery in a very different society)

I hope this helps you.