Meta-correct me! How to express myself less formally?

Answering a question by a Hebrew learner, I typed a nice block of text, but then I found it to be, well, too... essay-y?
I learned English from books and essays, and had very little opportunity to engage in casual conversations.
Therefore I'll paste this text here and ask two questions:

1. How would you transcribe it to "Everyday English"?
2. Whereforth do me fail in grammar? (because I must have made a mistake somewhere).

oh, the text:
"I wouldn't recommend tackling biblical texts until having achieved at least some proficiency with modern hebrew.
the bible was written during the course of centuries and therefore employs varied structures and dialects - even the most recent of which fell out of use millenia ago. learning those may instill habits which are outright wrong in modern hebrew context.
i mean, you wouldn't encourage a fresh english student to start with beowulf. right?"

Answers

Didn't found any grammar issues, except for the lack of commas and caps.

If you want it in a simplified version:

"I wouldn't recommend you studying biblical texts until you have achieved some proficiency in modern Hebrew.

The Bible was written during the course of centuries, so employs a wide variety of structures and dialects, even some of them have fallen in disuse. Learning those may cause as a result wrong language habits in a modern Hebrew context.

I mean, you wouldn't encourage a fresh english student to start with Beowulf, right?"

You need to use punctuation in correct places.

Hello Tzvika:

I think you are being overly self-conscious to the extreme.

(a) There is absolutely nothing wrong with the text message you wrote.

(b) Anyone who cannot understand that message, certainly will not be capable of any kind of meaningful Biblical Scholarship to begin with.

True, your conversation may seem slightly stilted, owing to your original method of studying English; but that does not mean that what you write should employ nothing but colloquialisms.

In fact, I do not think you can properly present the fine points of any kind of Scholarly pursuit, without using a specific terminology which derives from a foundation well above an ordinary, day to day English.

Just so you know, I have studied some basic Sephardic Hebrew, and followed history as well.
    But I think you are being unnecessarily senstive about your vocabulary.

Unless you intend to write something like "Biblical Scholarship for Dummies" you do not need to engage in that kind of self-censorship.

---------

As to the question; no, a student shouldn't start with Beowulf and not Shakespear either, without the appropriate explanations for much of the terminology used; but that doesn't mean you should take the necessary annotated texts and "Dumb---Them---Down". Don't be silly.

"Everyday English"? I mean are you kidding?

"Dude, it's like gnarly. It's all this complicated language stuff and this teacher, he be gyring aroun' and it kinda sucks, you know?
    I'm just sayin!"

Don't even think about it. If you want some help with writing something, contact me at YaxisX at aol and I'll work with you on something specific.---Warm Regards, Bruce

.