Can you please help...;(

A) One thing that surprises me most is that -
B) One thing that surprises me the most is that -

C) One thing that surprises me most about -
D) One thing that surprises me the most about -

E) What thing about humanity surprises you most?
F) What thing about humanity surprises you the most?

Which one sounds right to you, and can you tell me why, please?
Thank you ;(

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi! All of these sentences are perfectly fine; no one will think you are making a mistake if you say either one. I don't know what the technical grammar rule about this is (if there is one!), but I would probably say B, D, and F, the ones with 'the most.' I think in colloquial terms, either one is fine.

It is my understanding that B, D, and F are correct.

"The" is used as an intensive to denote a stronger adverb such as "most". This should be used when we describe a singular, not a multiple.

For example:
    What I like most are beautiful girls - blondes, brunettes, red heads. (multiple)
    What I like the most is a brunette. (singular)

Ellie is giving you a clear answer. The sentences read equally well with or without the Definite Article, "the".

The reason is that saying most or "the" most is not significantly different.

One thing is clear, is that the indefinite article, "a" will not work at all.

.

Samomoi,

In your sentences "most" is used as an adverb with the meaning " to the greatest degree". In formal English "the most" is considered correct. In informal English, i.e, in emails, personal letters, magazine articles, conversational speech, etc. "most" without "the" is often used.

In English there is a phenomenon called register. English has different registers "styles of speech or writing that are appropriate to the situation." In formal English the grammar is stricter, while in informal English the grammatical rules are more flexible. In very informal English the rules of grammar are even less important and sometimes ignored entirely.

One more note about your sentences--

1) One thing that surprises me most about -
    2) The one thing that surprises me the most about -

In sentence 1) you imply that there could be more than one thing that suprises you most.
    In sentence 2) you are stating that only one thing suprises you most.