from the....

Is the following translation ok?
The astrologer assured me that she could read a great future for me in the lines of my palm.

L'astrologue m'a assuré qu'elle pourrait prévenir un avenir prometteur des plis de ma paume.

The difficult I'm having is 'from the lines of my palm' ?
I know de + les = des. Does de+les always become 'des'?
But I also read somewhere that de +les doesn't become des, when there is an adjective in between. Is this correct ?

For learning: French

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I would say something like: "l'astrologue m'a assuré qu'elle pouvait me prédire un grand avenir dans les lignes de la main" I don't know why, but even if they are in the palm we tend to say "les lignes de la main" when's its about chiromancy
    As for "de les", I can't think of any circumstances I could use it, except if there's something in between, of course, or when les is a pronoun (e.g. : les lignes de sa main, elle n'arrête pas de les lire"

Je traduirais plutôt la phrase ainsi:

L'astrologue m'a assuré qu'elle lisait / voyait un avenir prometteur dans les lignes/plis de ma paume.

"prévenir" ne marche pas dans ce contexte, ce serait plutôt "prévoir" qu'il faudrait mettre, mais "prévoir un avenir", ça fait un peu répétitif!

Je ne parviens pas à trouver une situation où on pourrait dire "de les".

Eric and Pierre-Emmanuel are right, in French you read "into" something rather then read "from" something so "dans" is the appropriate word.

But if you want to say "voir un avenir prometteur des plis de ma paume" it wouldn't be really wrong (just odd). The "des" here means "from", so the translation of your translation goes like this : "to see a promissing future FROM the folds of you palm" (as a rule, to translate it back to English again allows you to see if or where the tranlation takes a slight tangent.)

Yes, "de"+ les" = "des" but "des" has several meanings ("some" and "from" for a start).