how to understand the “But this lot do seem pretty sharp.”?

‘Quite,’ says Helen. ‘Tell me about it. For a while I thought they’d just arrest me whatever I said. I had visions of being convicted for Jez’s murder and spending the rest of my days in prison. But this lot do seem pretty sharp. I have to hand it to them. They’ve changed my opinion of the police, in fact. Don’t know if they get some kind of psychological training these days.’

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hello zhanghonxiang:

First, "sharp" is a slang expression which simply mans Good, Nice, Cool, Neat, or just something of excellent quality. In this particular passage, it refers to people, and in that regard, means, Smart, Clever, Cunning, Intelligent, and so forth, you see?

Second, the sentence; "But this lot do seem pretty sharp."; is demonstrative of an incorrect grammar. To be proper, the word "do" should be "does". It reads like some sort of English dialect, where I've heard expressions like "do look" before.--Warm Regards, Bruce

"Sharp" means intellectually sharp, ie. aware/clever. This meaning has been in use for centuries.