What does "this circle is already providing hard to square" mean?

Long before candidates formally announce they are standing, this circle is already proving hard to square

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "to square a circle" is an idiom which means to solve a very difficult problem or situation. (Imagine how difficult it would be to change a circle into a square!) Example: "We have a lot of expenses, but very little money. I don't know how we're going to square the circle." = I don't know how we're going to solve the problem of how to pay so many expenses with so little money available.

"the circle is already proving hard to square" = The problem has already shown that it is difficult to solve.

The word "standing" doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the author meant to say "running". In English, when you are a candidate for an elected office, you "run" for that office.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that it means that this group candidates have difficulty in being fair and maybe honest. Like I said it is difficult to understand, perhaps if I had more of the sentence in the original context it would make more sense.