A Question about Black English in USA

Recently, I have been doing my homework about the American English and Accents. So I really want to get more information about the regular american's opinions to Black English.
So if you're from America, please tell me how do you feel about the Black English and of course how well can you understand and communicate with some Black-English-speaking people.
Giving some personal stories is really helpful, thanks.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    In my opinion (as a linguist) Ebonics is different than the African American Vernacular English (AAVE) — recently called African American Language (AAL) also called African American English; less precisely Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE)—is an African American variety (dialect, ethnolect and sociolect) of American English. Non-linguists sometimes call it Ebonics (a term that also has other meanings and connotations).

Its pronunciation is, in some respects, common to Southern American English, which is spoken by many African Americans and many non-African Americans in the United States. Several creolists, including William Stewart, John Dillard, and John Rickford, argue that AAVE shares so many characteristics with African creole dialects spoken in much of the world that AAVE itself is a creole,while others maintain that there are no significant parallels.

AAVE shares several characteristics with Creole English language-forms spoken by people throughout much of the world. AAVE has pronunciation, grammatical structures, and vocabulary in common with various West African languages.[7]

Many features of AAVE are shared with English dialects spoken in the American South. While these are mostly regionalisms (i.e. originating from the dialect commonly spoken in the area, regardless of color), a number of them—such as the deletion of is—are used much more frequently by black speakers, suggesting that they have their origins in black speech.[8] The traits of AAVE that separate it from Standard American English (SAE) include:

specific pronunciation features along definable patterns, many of which are found in creoles and dialects of other populations of West African descent and which also emerge in English dialects that may be uninfluenced by West African languages, such as Newfoundland English
    distinctive vocabulary
    distinctive use of verb tenses
    Early AAVE contributed a number of words of African origin to Standard American English, including gumbo, goober] yam and banjo. AAVE has also contributed slang expressions such as cool and hip.

As with all linguistic forms, its usage is influenced by age, status, topic and setting. There are many literary uses of this variety of English, particularly in African-American literature.

As an American, living in the South it is a little difficult to understand because of poor grammar issues. But please do not think that all people of color (Black or otherwise )speak like this, education plays a huge part in speaking.

What do you mean "Black English"? I don't think there's such as "Black English", or do you mean "slang"?

I wouldn't use it in all settings however because the goal is generally to communicate effectively no matter who I'm talking to. Sometimes, with some people, slang is not an effective way to communicate, but I often speak in slang with only friends.

Louie:

It is referred to as "Ebonics". You can look it up on the web.

There isn't a lot to feel about it. Basically, it is the adoption of "bad grammar" that has been gradually acquired as a common practice in a peer group, primarily among children, where proper grammar just wasn't commonly used. Thus, a minor dialect, with its own grammatical conventions, was created.

The vocabulary is limited to begin with. It doesn't employ anywhere near the amount of terms that are necessary to give full expression to an articulation of the English language.

You can speak it if you want to sound "hip" or as though you come from some urban ghetto. If you try to employ it in your written communications, you won't appear to be a very knowledgeable or intelligent person.

When you add to the mix, the frequent employment of obscenities, you may find that your employment of Ebonics makes you a social outcast very fast.
    .---Warm Regards, Bruce

.

I think that one of the biggest differences is that Black English does not use the "s" form for the third person.

That is why you hear some songs with lyrics such as: "She love me," instead of "loveS."

When you do your research in books and on the Web, I think that some experts will explain that some Black English comes from older varieties of English that was once spoken in certain areas of England. When those English people came to the United States before our Civil War (1861 - 1865), they brought their language with them. The slaves heard them speak that way and copied it. Today educated blacks speak standard English.