Word choice "in" vs "during"

I'm having difficulty using "in" and "during" properly.

For example,

in the morning
vs
during the morning

in the summer
vs
during the summer

"I hope you're having a good time with your family during the holiday season."
Why "during" is not appropriate in this sentence??

What kind of sentence needs "in" instead of "during" or vice versa?

Thank you in advance!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "In the morning" refers to the time of day, and "in the summer" refers to the time of year. "During the morning" refers to an indefinite interval of time "in the morning," and "during the summer" refers to an indefinite interval of time "in the summer."

I actually think that "in" and "during" could be interchanged. In the example that you gave I think that "during" could be used if you changed the word that follows it. As in, "I hope you're having a good time with your family during this holiday season." I personally don't think there's a difference in using "in" or "during" so I'd also like to see what others have to say.

There is a difference between "in" and "during."

For example:

"I sleep during history class."
    "I sleep in history class."

In this case, If you use "during" it implies the time in which you sleep; and if you use "in" it implies the location in which you sleep.

"I exercise in the morning." This means that you exercise at a specific time: the morning. The morning is a specific place in time.

"I exercise during the morning." This would mean that you exercise throughout the morning.

Basically, "in" implies a location; and "during" implies a time.