Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

"How long have you lived here" and "How long have you been living here"?

Are they 2 different ways of asking the same thing or have they different meanings?
Thank you!

Answers

They mean the same thing.

They're pretty close in meaning. If there is a difference, I'd say "how long have you lived here" suggests "so far" or "up till now", and "how long have you been living here" suggests the action will continue into the future.

I think only if the listener were about to move house would the difference be noticeable.

Some people see a difference:

1. How long have you lived here? You might ask this question of someone who is a permanent resident. She or he might answer: I have lived here for 50 years. And I plan to die here.

2. How long have you been living here? You might ask this question of someone who is only there on a temporary basis. For example, you know that someone studying in Los Angeles plans to return to her country after graduating from a local university. So she might answer: I have been living here for six months, and I really enjoy it. But I miss my country and am eager to return as soon as possible.

They mean the same thing.