Confused all of a sudden =s

A) The scariest thing I have ever been through
B) The scariest thing I have been through
- Is there a difference in meaning between the two?

C) The scariest thing I have ever gone through
D) The scariest thing I have gone through
- I know it's less common, but can I say "gone" instead of "been"?

E) You've been through a lot
F) You've gone through a lot

Thank you<3

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The scariest thing I've ever been through. This sounds fine.
    The scariest thing I have been through. [It sounds OK, but for some reason or other I want to put in the word 'ever' to make it more emphatic and, for me, easier to pronounce.

Can we substitute been with gone? Yes, I suppose you could, but been would be preferable, especially with the first person singular and plural.

If we take another example of been and gone:

I have been to Japan. You have been to Japan etc. Correct.
    ***I have gone to Japan*** This is incorrect.
    He has gone to Japan. This is correct if you mean that he is no longer with you but has travelled to and reached Japan.

Therefore the difference between gone and been is that been implies the person has gone to a place and returned, whereas gone simply means the person has gone to the place and has not returned yet, or that you are not aware that he has returned. Obviously you cannot say that with the first person singular or plural, because you simply cannot be in two places at the same time!

So back to your question. I would suggest that you should use been through, irrespective of person. Use go through in set expressions:

He has gone through Hell to get where he is now
    He has gone through a lot to be where he is now
    go through a difficult patch / go through difficult times

A) because you are using the Superlative "scarIEST" the meaning is the same whether you use Ever or not. Ever means at any given time. Which of course it has to be, because nothing could be ScarIER at any other time. THis is the SCARIEST one ever, in history. Short answer: There is no difference in meaning.

Yes you can say "gone" in place of "been" in sentences C,D, E, and F.

Each of these sentences is perfectly okay.

The "ever" serves as an intensifier. It is use to emphasize how scary the thing discussed is. It doesn't change the meaning of the sentence beyond that.

I don't think there is much difference in "gone through" and "been through" used this way. Maybe "gone through" implies that the speaker took a more active role in resolving the situation, but I don't think this is always the case.

The previous three explanations are excellent examples of how to use and differentiate "been" and "gone". What more is there to add?

Yes