about "number seven"

hello,
I've wanted to ask this question for a long time ^^;
As I was watching the movie "Margin Call", there was a line of Seth talking about his job. What I'm wonder is what "putting on number seven" or "putting number seven".

His line goes like this.
"I made nearly, a quarter of a million dollars last year...Fuck! for what...? Pushing some numbers around on a computer screen, so a bunch of glorified crack addicts could take that information and pretend to understand it, and then make a bet against some other jock half way around the world who if he..wasn't doing this, he'd be putting number seven or you know??
And at the end of the day one guy win and the other guy loses."

The script (screenplay) I downloaded from the Internet goes like this (slightly different)
"for what... pushing some numbers around on a computer screen, so a bunch of glorified crack addicts could take that information and pretend to understand it, and then make a bet against some other jock half way around the world who if he wasn’t doing this would probably be in some OTB somewhere putting it all on number seven. And at the end of the day one guy loses and the other guy wins."

can you explain to me about "putting number seven" here? ^^;
thanks in advance~*

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    It's referring to Gambling, the number Seven is considered 'lucky' and thus, putting it all seven means you're just taking a wild guess and hoping for the best. Hope this helps. :)

Azul is correct, but just to add on:
    In the script, "OTB" is off-track-betting, a place where gamblers can go and bet on horses, even though there is no race track there. It is like betting on a movie of a horse race. So, in this case, he is referring to placing a bet on a horse wearing the "lucky" number seven. Basically saying that buying and selling stocks is no different than gambling on a horse race.