What do these sentences mean? "That horrible grunge look did not suit you."

I was watching The Vampire Diaries, when I came across sentences above. Here is an extract of the film including a conversation between Salvatore brothers;
A: When'd you get here?
B: Well, I couldn't miss your first day at school .Your hair's different.I like it.
A: It's been 15 years, Damon.
B: Thank God.I couldn't take another day of the nineties.That horrible grunge lookay? Did not suit you.Remember, Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads.
A: Why are you here?
B: I miss my little brother.
A: You hate small towns.It's boring. There's nothing
for you to do.

Additional Details:

In addition, I would thank you if someone can tell me what does this sentence mean: "Remember, Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads."

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker

The 'grunge look' meant wearing dark colors. Colors that were popular were black and white, gray, forest green, brown and indigo.Hair was usually worn natural and appeared unkempt. Details were often sported in longer hair such as tiny braids, beads or dread locks.Flannel shirts were probably the staple item of the grunge era. They were worn by girls and guys alike. They were worn in many ways, buttoned up the front, open in front, or tied around the waist.Jeans were often stonewashed and baggy. Large and chunky shoes were popular. Work boots were favored by men and women alike. Obviously this sort of look did not suit Stefan!
    "Remember, Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads." means that Stefan should not wear clothes that are only fashionable for a short time.