the phrase "down the road"

At some point, Washington has to deal with its spending problem. I've watched them kick this can down the road for the 22 years that I've been here. I've had enough of it.
what is "down the road"?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    It means to put something off and not deal with it. So it is saying that Washington continues to ignore this problem but not dealing with it. Hope that helps!
    Brian

Hello rfvlxz.

"down the road" usually means "in the future" as follows:

We may have problems down the road.

However in the quotation you offered, the meaning is slightly different, because it refers to something of a political activity. Thus, in the phrase:

.

.

I've watched them kick this can down the road ..........[this phrase refers to the political ideas and policies of "Washington" which means the "U.S. Government".

So to kick the can down the road, refers to the public advocacy, and political advocacy of the
    government. So, Policies and Ideas that the government recommended, are the ideas
    that they have proposed...thus, they "kick---the---can----down---the---road". You see?

---Warm Regards, Bruce