Can someone explain to me what designate means?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Designate as a verb, means to appoint (someone) to a specified position.

I designate you principal of the new school.

- give an assignment to (a person) to a post, or assign a task to (a person)

"I've been designated to watch over this party."

That usually what it refers to, is someone being selected for a job.

You are designated deputy by the sheriff.

There are some other meanings here, that I have never heard before. Such as the idea that designate can mean someone appointed who has yet to take office. However, I have never heard it used before.

What I can tell you is that it means to confer on someone an authority or specific duty or title. Someone else has to select you for the position. The Queen select her knights. So the Queen designates someone a knight. Does that make sense?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/designate

'designate' can mean 'appoint' or 'assign a status to.' - "The president designated Sally as his successor." "The city was recently designated as host of the World Cup."