Would you explain the last sentece for me?

Maybe if things had happened a little differently in Al Tafar it could have been like that. But things happened the way they happened without regard to our desire for them to have happened another way. Despite an age-old instinct to provide an explanation more complex than that, something with a level of profundity and depth which would seem commensurate with the confusion I felt, it really was that simple.
People have always done this, I thought. They looked for a curved road around the plain truth of it: an undetermined future, no destiny, no veined hand reaching into our lives, just what happened and our watching it.
Would you explain the last sentence for me, especially "an undetermined future, no destiny, no veined hand reaching into our lives, just what happened and our watching it."?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "an undetermined future, no destiny,"

we cannot predict the future.

"no veined hand reached into our lives, "

no one is helping us with our destiny

"just what happened and our watching it."

we watch things happen, and that's all we can do

personally, I don't agree with that meaning
    but that's what that last sentence means when you simplify it