verb-dik in a sentence without an object

I thought the -dik suffix converts the verb to an adjective to describe something, as in:

V-dik N -> The N which Ved

But I saw this usage on a tv show:

"çok korktuğum"

And the translation was: "I was very afraid".

How does that work?

Additional Details:

Additional Details:

Edit:

I think mostly likely it was 'korktum' and I assumed they said 'korktuğum' because of my inexperience with the language.

For learning: Turkish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    That suffix has 2 usages:

1) It is used to conjugate a verb in past tense (di'li geçmiş zaman) for 1st person plural. For example,
    gelDİK = we came.
    gitTİK = we went
    alDIK = we bought

2) It is used for making nouns (or adjectives) from verbs.
    tanıDIK = a person i know (tanıMAK=to know someone)
    beklenmeDİK = unexpected (situation etc) (beklenMEK = (in this context) expected, then we have a negative suffix -ME, thus beklenmeMEK = not to be expected, to be unexpected)

Now if you heard "Korktum", it means "I was afraid", as you know. It is the first usage.
    But maybe, it was used in a way like "Korktuğum için gelemedim", which means "I couldnt come coz i was afraid". We are talking about the situation in which you were afraid. Thus "korktuğum" kinda means the reality or the situation that i was afraid. Coz probably u r aware that -um, means that the thing belongs to u, thus the reality is MY reality.

The suffix -dik means "we", as far as I know. I think you're thinking of the suffix -lik, which I've seen for adjectives.