Some synonyms

There are some synonyms that are very confusing:
deal with, cope with, manage, handle with, dispose of, approach

And choose words above to fill in the blanks.

(1) Engine oil cannot be ______ down drains.
(2) I don't know how she ______ looking after her family and doing a full-job.
(3) He doesn't know how to ______ his spare time.
(4) My son is a lawyer, so he ______ all my legal affairs.
(5) The king convoke parliament to ______ the impending danger.

Here are my answers.
(1) handle with
(2) copes with/ deals with/ manages
(3) handle with/ deal with
(4) disposes of
(5) cope with/ deal with

Is that right?
Thank you if you can explain it

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    (1) Engine oil cannot be ______ down drains. dispose of
    (2) I don't know how she ______ looking after her family and doing a full-job. cope with
    (3) He doesn't know how to ______ his spare time. manage
    (4) My son is a lawyer, so he ______ all my legal affairs. deal with
    (5) The king convoke parliament to ______ the impending danger. handle

1. disposed of
    2. copes with
    3. manage
    4. handles
    5. deal with

To dispose of means, essentially, to "throw away". So engine oil cannot be thrown away by pouring it down a drain. Therefore, it cannot be disposed of down a drain.

This second one is a bit tricky (and by the wy, "doing" in that sentence would be better replaced by "working" or "having"), because three of these six can work. "Cope with", "manage", and "handle" ("handle with" is not really ever used, especially not in any of these sentences) can all fit here. I chose "cope with" partially because I'm under the assumption that I can't use the same word in two different answers, and "cope with" doesn't work for anything else. Further, "cope with" has an implication of sorrow or extreme torment, like coping with cancer, or coping with your mother's death. Because (unlike the other four sentences), the situation this woman is in is sorrowful and stressful, "copes with" would be the best choice even if I COULD use the other words.

He doesn't know how to MANAGE his spare time, because "manage" is a combination of "to take care of" and also "to organize or oversee". Since he's trying to organize/oversee his spare time right now, "manage" is the best choice.

The son "handles" all of the legal affairs, since handling implies continued interaction with the direct object, unlike most of the others. "Manages" also works, but it's much better suited for number 3. Since the son is involved with these legal affairs for a while (as opposed to fixing them immediately and then moving on), "handles" is the best choice.

My response is continued in the comment section of this post, since it goes over 2000 characters.

The given answers from others are correct. Hopefully the Chinese approximation will help you understand the differences.

deal with = 處理
    cope with = 應付
    manage = 管理
    handle = 辦理
    dispose of = 處置, 含有事情後把它掉去的意思
    approach = 辦理時有接近或接觸的含意. He approached the problem carefully = 他仔細探討這個問題