What does "others" refer to in this sentence?

“This is the land where Jonah is buried, where he begged for God’s justice to come.” He continued, “We are that justice. Now, I wish I could tell you that all of us are coming back, but I can’t. Some of you will not come back with us.” I was moved then, but what I now recall most vividly about that speech was the colonel’s pride, his satisfaction with his own directness, his disregard for us as individuals. “If you die, know this: we’ll put you on the first bird to Dover. Your families will have a distinction beyond all others. If these bastards want a fight, we’re going to give them one.”

What does "others" refer to in this sentence: Your families will have a distinction beyond all others ? Does it refer to other honour or other soldiers' families?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Looking at the context of the sentence, I believe "others" here refer to "all other distinctions." In other words, "if you die, your families will have a distinction far greater than any other distinction that they could have." However, it is not unreasonable to argue that "others" could mean "other families, " in the sense that if you die, your families will have a distinction greater than all other families. However, it makes slightly more sense that the emphasis is on the distinction, not on the comparison with other families.

More resolved questions for learning English