我差一点没哭起来

我差一点没哭起来

What exactly means this sentence?
I translated it as " I almost cried" just to make sense with the whole dialogue,
but if I translate it strictly, it means I almost did not cry.-.. ?? makes no sense to me !

Can you tell me how you would translate this?

我非常感谢您的帮助

Base language: Chinese (Mandarin)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Your translation "I almost cried" is correct. Yeah, if you try to translate the sentence strictly, it sounds wierd. I feel it's something like sometimes people say "I can't stand no more" to mean " I can stand no more". The meaning of the sentence is " I almost cried"( didn't really cry out). Hope my answer help you a little to understand the sentence.

You can translate "I also did not cry" into “我几乎没有哭”, I think this sentence may make sense to you.

" I almost cried" this is correct。
    this topic is too hard for a foreigner. Just remember the whole meaning. That's enough.
    for more information:[差一点没] is often used as [almost]. you can treat the 4 characters as a adverb. also[差点没].

"没" usually negatives the closest word following it, not a whole sentence. In this sentence, with 哭起来 it is to mean "I didn't cry." Take the "差一点" in to account, if you understand it in this way. "我没哭泣里,差一点哭。"

Well,the only thing I can tell you is that this "差一点没" sentence doesn't make any sense to anyone.All you can and have to do is put it in your head. Actually,when I saw the sentence,like"我差点没被吓死",I was think of the thing as you do,"What does this sentence means". And I am a native Chinese speaker.So you see,some sentences in Chinese do not make any sense.But people just say it,say it and say it.And eventually it does make the sense.

Your understanding of this sentence is right.
    The only thing is the unique expression of Chinese.
    You can use this sentence in two case:
    1. To express strong emotion."我差一点没哭起来" used to express very strong will of crying but hold tears in the end. It is stronger than "I almost cried".
    2. To ridicule or satirize something, which is the last thing to make you cry in this world.
    Or, to ridicule or satirize somebody, who has no common sense, and you feel uncomfortable to get along with that person.