I can't understand different between past perfect and past simple.

I know we use was and had been, but when? When we use this time when other. Its too difficult for me. Maybe somebody have simple answer ? :) thank you for help

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    We use Simple Past if we give past events in the order in which they occured. However, when we look back from a certain time in the past to tell what had happened before, we use Past Perfect.

Simple past example: Jane got up at seven. She opened her birthday presents and then the whole family went to the zoo.

Past perfect example: Before her sixth birthday, Jane had never been to the zoo.

Simple Past: Jane got up at seven. She opened her birthday presents and then the whole family went to the zoo.

Past perfect simple: Before her sixth birthday, Jane had never been to the zoo.