Confused about 것 같다 and 줄 알다

I am a little confused about when to use ... 것 같다 and when to use ... 줄 알다. I feel like I am missing some simple conceptual difference.

I thought that you use one in the present tense and one in the past tense. (but of course both can be used about past/future events)

내일 비 올 것 같아요. <- present "I think" talking about a future possibility
비가 올 줄 알았어요. <- past "I thought" talking about a future (at the time) possibility

But then I saw...

제 친구는 자기가 세상에서 제일 예쁜 줄 알아요. <- present "my friend thinks"

Can I say either or both of these?

제 친구는 비가 올 줄 알아요.
제 친구는 비가 올 것 같아요.

감사합니다!

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    You often use '~줄 알아요' when you "beg to differ."

제 친구는 자기가 세상에서 제일 예쁜 줄 알아요. My friend "thinks" she's the prettiest in the world. (But I beg to differ.)

That's why ~줄 알아요 is not usually used with the 1st person, because then you're contradicting yourself, unless of course you're talking about what you thought in the PAST. Because what you think now may differ from what you used to think in the past.

오늘 비가 올 줄 알았어요. I "thought" it would rain today (but turns out, it didn't. I was wrong.)

That's why you see '-줄 알다' used with the past tense a lot, but it doesn't have to be, (as in the example of 제 친구는 자기가 세상에서 제일 예쁜 줄 알아요).

Unlike '-줄 알다,' '것 같다' does not necessarily mean you differ.

오늘 비가 올 것 같았어. (I thought it would rain today. And maybe it really did or it didn't).

'-것 같다,' s always used with the 1st person, like Peter said. And when used with the 3rd person, you use '-것 같다고 생각하다'.

내 친구는 내일 비가 올 것 같다고 생각해요. (My friend thinks it will to rain tomorrow.)

The grammatical reason behind this is because "알다" is a verb, and "-같다' is actually an adjective. Have you learned about the cases where an adjective works like a verb? It takes the form of "나+topic particle Something/Somebody+subject particle Adjective" and it means "I think Something/Somebody is Adjective"

For example,
    나는 강아지들이 정말 예뻐 (I think puppies are really cute)

This structure only works for the 1st person, and for the 3rd person, you need to attach "-고 생각해"

내 친구는 강아지들이 정말 예뻐 (incorrect)
    내 친구는 강아지들이 정말 예쁘다고 생각해. (My friend thinks puppies are really cute).

And back to '-것 같다,' it is actually an adjective that means "likely"

(나는) 내일 비(가) 올 것 같다. "I think it is likely to rain tomorrow"

which in English is more natural to translate as "I think it will rain tomorrow."

You know correctly.
    a little more information;
    "내일 비가 올 줄 알았어요." situation is ; You plan to hike with your friends tomorrow and the weather forecast says it will be raining tomorrow. When you plan something, something bad thing happen, then one of your friend could say "내 그럴줄 알았어. 내일 비올 줄 알고 있었지"

Anyway,
    제 친구는 비가 올줄 알아요(알았어요) or
    제 친구가 비오 올것 같다고 해요. but
    제 친구는 비가 올것 같아요 doesn't seems quite right.

Because 친구 and 비 can't be subjects in this sentence at the same time.
    친구가 말한다/생각한다 + 비가 온다 = 친구는 비가 온다고 생각한다.