How would you explain this sentence?

“Noise and light discipline from here on out, boys,” the LT whispered. I was glad not to be out on the point. The guy who was swung his leg over the low wall separating our position from the open field and walked out toward the gray shapes of the city.

How would you explain the last sentence? Why does the author add “was” after “who”? In my opinion, the guy is the subject while swung and walked are predicate verbs, so there is no need to add “was” after “who”.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It works with the preceding sentence, and is pretty clear.

"I was glad not to be out on the point. The guy who was (out on the point) swung his leg over..."

Repeating "out on the point" is redundant. :)

It's because the author sometimes drops words. The sentence before: I was glad not to be "out on the point." The guy who was (out on the point) swung his leg over...

More resolved questions for learning English