How would you explain the second sentence?

I was going home. But home, too, was hard to get an image of, harder still to think beyond the last curved enclosure of the desert, where…

How would you explain the second sentence? Does it mean it’s harder to imagine home than to imagine the desert?
Thanks!

Additional Details:

On second thought, I think my comprehension is wrong. What this sentence mean is that It's even harder to not to think the desert, that is it's very hard to forget the desert. Am I right?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I would explain it by saying that the author thinks good writing has to do with becoming more subjective rather than just telling the story. I would disagree with that idea. I think it is poor writing. I think you are making it difficult for yourself to learn English by reading a poor example of English writing.