A university / un university

I've been taught that "A" is being used when put in front of a word beginning with a consonant and "AN" is being used when put in front of a word starting with a vowel. The word "UNIVERSITY" begins with a vowel, so I should use "AN", but when read it has a "Y" sound at the beginning, so I should use "A". Which is correct? "A university" or "An university"? I think it should be "A"... HELP

Answers

OOPT

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    This is correct. Because of the "Y" sound, we say "a university", "a universe", "a universal language", etc.

And when there is no "Y" sound, it becomes "an unprecedented event", "an unbelievable truth", etc.

Viviane's right. Remember this rule comes from spoken English, so it's based on the vowel sound, not the next written letter. Also, "an" does apply when the consonant is silent: an hour, an honour...