why we use comma?

In this case, I was a boy,so
can't we use
I was boy SO
can you explain why?

For learning: Korean
Base language: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I know this answer isn't very professional like Kevin's, but I wanted to mention that in schools, we are told that commas are also used to show when to 'pause' or to 'take a breath' before carrying on with your sentence ^^ f~ I'm not sure about any of the grammar points that Kevin wrote (Even though I'm English and living in England haha) so thanks Kevin for teaching me something too hahah~ but commas can also be used in this situation too! :DD I hope this helps a little!~

It's just the writing convention. You're supposed to have a comma after any sort of conjunctions (joining words/phrases). Take a look at these examples:

1) After, we went to see a movie. (where "After" is the conjunction)
    2) Because it is cold, I went home. (where "Because" is the conjunction)
    3) Soon, the snow turned into rain. (where "Soon" is the conjunction)

It's just something you're going to have to bare with. There's not really a "reason" for it. We just do it because it makes it look nicer.