How would you interpret this sentence?

I looked out the window and saw that it was not yet night despite the fact that my body had sensed its coming a few hours before. We traveled with the sun, uncoupled from its dictates of light and dark for a little while. I watched the broad ocean spread out beneath me after the clouds thinned. I focused for what seemed like hours on crests becoming troughs, troughs tilting to become whitecaps, all of it seeming like the breaking of some ancient treaty between all those things that stand in opposition to one another.

How would you interpret this sentence: uncoupled from its dictates of light and dark?
Another question:
In “I focused for what seemed like hours on crests becoming troughs…”, is “for what seemed like hours” a parenthesis, meaning he had been watched the ocean for hours?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "Uncoupled from its dictates of light and dark"

It sounds to me like he's traveling on a ship that's following the same path as the sun, so it's always light wherever he is. Here, "dictates" is a plural noun, meaning "instances when the sun decides (figuratively speaking) that it will be light or dark." "Uncoupled" means "disconnected," so what he's saying is that on the path they're traveling, they don't have to go along with the sun's decision to make it dark.

Does that make sense? It's the literary technique of personification.

"For what seemed like hours"

Yes, that phrase is a parenthesis. He may not have watched the ocean for hours though. He says it only seemed like hours.

"uncoupled from its dictates of light and dark"
    =
    My understanding: Usually they travel during the day, but for a little while they also need to travel at night. So they do not follow the "rule" to travel just when the sun is above their heads. Some kind of incompatibility with a day/night cycle.

And the second Q. My A is Yes, it's parenthesis.