How would explain “an accretion of hours” and “an unshared year”?

“Wake up. We’re here,” the LT said. I looked out the window and saw a sign left open to flap and tatter in the wind outside the terminal. It thanked us for our service and welcomed us to back to the States.
That was it. The doors opened and we lurched down the gangway toward the bright shine of the airport. It glowed on the inside, and the curl of small neon letters against white walls and white floors addled my thinking. My mind clouded over. I saw a nation unfold in the dark. It rolled out over piedmont and hillock and fell down the west face of the Blue Ridge, where plains in pink dusk rested softly under an accretion of hours. Between the coasts, an unshared year grew like goldenrod and white puffs of dandelion up through the hardpan.

How would explain “an accretion of hours” and “an unshared year” in the last two sentence of the second passage?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    “an accretion of hours” = it was late in the day
    “an unshared year” = time the speaker was away