How would interpret this sentence?

“Wake up. We’re here,” the LT said. I looked out the window and saw a sign left open to flap and tatter in the wind outside the terminal. It thanked us for our service and welcomed us to back to the States.
We filed in through a special gate and stood in the cold wash of the artificial lights and listened to them buzz and hum. A few last words from the officers and senior enlisted men and then we would be released. The usual had become remarkable, the remarkable boring, and toward whatever came in between I felt only a listless confusion.

How would interpret this sentence: The usual had become remarkable, the remarkable boring?
Another question, what does “between” mean in “toward whatever came in between I felt only a listless confusion”? Does it mean between the usual and the remarkable?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hi, the meaning can be summed up by the last 6 words:
    After being released: The usual[ routine had become something extraordinary] had become remarkable, the remarkable boring, [ amazing bits had become nondescript] and toward whatever came in between I felt only a listless confusion.[ he felt totally confused after being released from a soldier's life]

First of all Gordon i should say that i am not native english speaker and also my english level is not good enough, but i did like this paragraph and like a friend i just want to say my interpratation. In the sentence about usual, i guess it means that usual is become very very boring for him, that sounds he cannot endure it or it is hard for him to endure any more!
    And about between, i guess he means whatever was happening there!
    Dont trust on my answer at all!