How would you explain the last sentence?

We’d stood tightly in formation until the first sergeant barked “Dismissed,” but we did not scatter in all directions at once. Instead, the remains of our unit dissolved slowly, scattering from its center the way a splash of oil might over water. I saw confusion in some of the other soldiers’ eyes. I even heard a few say, “Well, what now?” It crossed my own mind, too, but I put my fingernails into my palms until the skin broke, and I thought, No way, no goddamn way, something else now.

How would you explain the last sentence: No way, no goddamn way, something else now? Why did he have that thought?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It probably means that the author had a purpose for so long during his tour of Iraq. Now that he has returned home and has been dismissed, he no longer knows what to do. He wants something to do, and feels lost.

I guess it all depends on what the sergeant said to the formation,

But usually that is a reaction of someone upset after a strong decision announced that affects negatively the author and the unit.