"I plan to" and "I'm planning to"

what is the difference between
I plan to learn something..
and I'm planning to learn something...
????

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    They essentially mean the same thing. The difference is in how the actions of the speaker are viewed.

If someone says "I plan to learn something", it can imply that they are in the process of planning OR that they are GOING to plan, and people typically take it to mean the latter.

If someone says "I am planning to learn something", their actions are more immediate. The ambiguity of a timeframe has been removed; they are now necessarily in the process of planning to learn something.

However, as I said, the meaning is the same. They have a plan, and that plan is to learn something. The semantic difference is so slight that even many natives wouldn't be able to explain it to you, so consider them, for all intents and purposes, to be synonyms.