According to some records, Carl Sandburg _____ was expelled from West Point Academy

According to some records, Carl Sandburg _____ was expelled from West Point Military Academy because of deficiencies in English.
A. his poetry and literary genius
B. whose poetry and literary genius
C. he was a poet and literary genius
D. poet and literary genius

Note: I feel none of the answers works. The solution says the correct answer is B…
Here is my reading of the sentence with B. filled in:
Carl’s poetry and literary genius was expelled from a Military Academy.
It would be strange if the word “genius” here is used to refer to a relation of Carl. So it can't be that.

If the word is used to mean an unusual ability, then it is also strange. I thought we can only expel a person from a school, not his ability.
Would you accept it as as a grammatically correct and complete sentence?
Thanks

Additional Details:

maybe B. should be "with poetry and literary genius"?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    NoAgenda,

The only one that works is D.

According to some records, Carl Sandburg, poet and literary genius, was expelled from West Point Academy.

Of course, commas are necessary for D. Also, "poet and literary genius" would then be more like a title for Carl Sandburg, that when placed after the name in the narrative would not require an article.

Yes I would say D