How would you explain “simply and without qualification” here?

And then I was there, simply and without qualification. I sat with my cheeks in my hands out by the smoking area, distracting myself by counting the wads of chewing gum that dotted the concrete, when the sound of a motor approached. I did not raise my eyes. It took her hands on my face to rouse me from my preoccupations.

Another question: what does “out” mean in “I sat with my cheeks in my hands out by the smoking area”?
PS: In the previous passage, he was on the plane taking him home.
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    “simply and without qualification” here? He just sat there with his mind blank, not really thinking
    Another question: what does “out” mean in “I sat with my cheeks in my hands out by the smoking area”? He sat with his head resting in his hands, in the area of the plane where people were allowed to smoke.