Is present progressive or future tense more widely used in Korean?

In situations where either future or present progressive tenses could be used, which one is more commonly chosen? Or is it mostly up to preference? Thanks in advance for any help!

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    We do not have such tenses as perfect or progressive tenses. We say use simple tenses to describe time and the situation not by changing tense forms but by guessing the context. We use a totally different language from English, so I suggest you not understand Korean according to English manner. I had problems trying understanding English tenses at first because I thought from my point of view of seeing the time and the situation.
    I can show you some examples.
    When we say future situation, we can add -ㄹ / 할 to the verb of the sentence but sometimes we just use the same form as present tense.
    What are you doing tomorrow? / What will you do tomorrow? / What are you planning to do tomorrow?
    What are you going to do tomorrow? ....
    can be
    내일 뭐할거야? (뭐(무엇, what) + 하(다)(do) + ㄹ거 야?)
    but
    내일 뭐해? also possible.
    (내일 뭐해? = 무엇 하다/ to make question, conjugate 하다 to 해?)

The possible answers can be various.
    공부할 거야.
    공부할 생각이야.
    공부하고 있을껄?
    공부할껄?
    공부해.
    공부.

The four answers are used to say "I am going to study/I will study/I am planning to study/I am studying"
    So, you have to think about the question and then you guess the meaning. If you are not sure then you should ask more information such as
    공부하기로 계획한거니? (Are you planning to study?) but in this case it is very obvious.

What are you going to do this weekend? / What will you do ~ / What are you planning to do~
    - 주말에 뭐해? (주말에 뭐할거야?)

- 글쎄, 집에 있을 것 같아. (From the word '글쎄(meaning I'm not sure), you can guess he might not have any plan or he will stay at home)
    - 집에 있을 거야. (This answer seems obvious that he(she) planning to stay at home)

Italki says I have written too many words - more than 2000 words...

Additional explanation for
    Here are the questions for the present progressive tense or present simple tense.
    너 지금 뭐해? (What are you doing now?)
    공부해 / 공부하고 있어/공부할 거야/공부

너 평소에 뭐해? (What do you usually do?)
    공부해/공부하고 있어/공부
    but this answer is also possible to say meaning 'I intend to study from now on'
    공부할거야.

We use same answers as future question. I think it is somehow similar to English grammar - future tense with present simple.

Do you find any rules here?
    Well I think you will feel very hard to accept this now but if you get used to this, it will be much easy to guess Korean tenses.