Does "to be on fire" mean something particulary or simply "have feet on fire" ?

Answers

to "be on fire" can be used as an expression that means whatever a person does he is extremely successful at. For example, if a basketball player scores a lot of points in a short amount of time, you can say "he's on fire!"

I think the expression or analogy can have different meanings. If you listen to the Talking Heads song "Psycho Killer" there's an example of it in usage. It's off of "'77". You probably know the song and I'm sure it's on You-tube. "I can't sleep 'cause my bed's on fire..." is the lyric.

Hey French_Guy,

In the context you raise:

"To be on fire" = "hot" = like Brian said and it must imply an unusual (not normal, not average) amount of success and also definitely a short period of time as with a real fire that's hot but then soon burns out.

I don't usually hear "have feet on fire". I suppose you might hear that said of a soccer (excuse me, football) player who just scored several goals in the past few minutes, or of a runner that has finished several races this year all in record times. Unless, of course, you were talking about this guy: http://poachedjobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fire-feet1.jpg .

Mel