When to use articles?

I do know basics of using articles, but sometimes I use them, where it is not necessary and vice versa.

Example: Is it correct to say (in the first sentence) "I do know basics of using THE aricles"?
The first sentece? Could it be "A first sentence"?

Could you, please, recommend me some resources? Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    First, to answer your specific questions: (1) It is "I do know the basics of using articles (in English)" (without "THE"). (2) It is better to use "(in THE first sentence)" because you're referring to a specific sentence (the first one you wrote). As to a short list of reasons when, where, and how to use the definite and indefinite articles in English, please see http://reske.us/scripts/rules.htm. To tell you the truth, using articles (or not using them) correctly in English is difficult for foreigners. I know people who have been living in the United States for 30 years, who speak English fluently, and yet still consistently make mistakes using articles. You will just have to read and listen to native speakers and pay extra attention. In my case, I know "automatically" when to use or drop the article, and 95% of the time, I can explain why. However, there are always the 5% of cases where I just have to shrug my shoulders and say "because if you use it (or if you don't use it), it sounds ... odd."