How would you explain “vanished into thin air “in the second passage?

The room was dark and cool. I was tired. I folded my cover and put it on the bedside table. The blouse came off next. Then the belt, hung over the bedpost. I sat on the bed and reached down, unlacing the right boot first, then removing the right sock. In the muddy dimness, the dog tag strung into the laces of my left boot shone. I fingered it and sat upright.
I was disappearing. It was as if I stripped myself away in that darkened bedroom on a spring afternoon, and when I was finished there would be a pile of clothes neatly folded and I would be another number for the cable news shows. I could almost hear it. “Another casualty today,” they’d say, “vanished into thin air after arriving home.”

How would you explain “vanished into thin air “in the second passage? Does it mean the casualty killed himself or just disappeared?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The expression "vanished into thin air" generally implies that we don't know why or how something/someone disappeared. It's like saying 消失的無影無蹤: you just know he's gone, but not why or how.