Please can you explain some grammar from this sentence please

I have some grammar questions about this verse please.

管筵席的尝了那水变的酒, 并不知道是哪里来的 ,只有舀水的用人知道 。 管筵席的便叫新郎来 。

I know what the full verse:means but I have some questions about the grammar.

First Q: Why is there 的 after 管筵席 in 管筵席的尝了那水变的酒?Is it the是。。。的 pattern?Why do they not just say 管筵席尝了那水变的酒?

Second Q: 管筵席的便叫新郎来 。 what are 的 and 便 are doing here? Is it the是。。。的 pattern?Why 便?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    管筵席means to tend to the meal, a verbal phrase. In English, as in Chinese, you can't use a verbal phrase in place of a nominal phase as the subject of a sentence. (I.e, you can't say "to tend to the meal tasted the wine (turned from water)") You have to make the verbal phrase a noun, as we would use "the one" in English as in "the one who tends to the meal tasted the wine."). In other words, the word的(short for的人) changes that verbal phrase into a noun that then can be used as the subject of the sentence. For your second question, 便 is the adverb meaning "then" in the chronological sense. The "one who tends to the meals" THEN called the groom. The answer to your question about 的 is the same as the answer to your first question.

[管筵席的(人)]尝了那水变的酒, 并不知道是哪里来的 ,只有舀水的用人知道 。 管筵席的便叫新郎来 。

Here (人) is here understood and omitted.
    ‘便’ here means “in turn”.

there is no “的”after"管筵席"the right sentence is