Between Except and Except for. What is the difference?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Correction: What is the difference between "except" and "except for"?

Put them together into one sentence; the way you wrote it made the whole first part a fragment.

Anyway, there isn't much of a difference. They're used in just about the same capacity, and they mean the same thing. However, you can't use "except for" before conjunctions or prepositions, and it also usually shouldn't be used when talking about abstractions. They can both be used when talking about people or objects, but when talking about facts/concepts/other intangible things, "except" is the one you should typically go with.

That is: "I like every type of music except hip-hop," and "I like every type of music except for hip-hop," mean the same thing and can both be used.

"I'd help him, except I have to go to work." This is correct.

"I'd help him, except for I have to go to work." This is NOT correct, because it's talking about the fact that he has to go to work.

"I'd like a supreme pizza, except without mushrooms." This is correct.

"I'd like a supreme pizza, except for without mushrooms." This is NOT correct, because "without" is a preposition, and you have a preposition conflict if you include the "for" there.
    __________________________
    To reiterate, they mean the same thing, but the ability to place them in a sentence changes. "Except" can be used in every situation that "except for" can be used, but "except for" CANNOT be used when preceding prepositions (e.g. with, beside, although, behind, on, etc.) and subordinate conjunctions (e.g. since, while, unless, now that, etc.), and it also can't be used with concepts.