-(으)ㄴ/는지 Confusion

Hey,

I recently had a closer look on the -(으)ㄴ/는지 thing but got quite confused about the conjugation of 는/은 in some situations.

Usually I would assume with verbs like 먹다 it becomes 먹은지 because it ends in a consonant, (머 ㄱ<--) but actually it's 먹는지 for some reason. Unlike 사는지, which is very clear to me.
Yet other verbs that end in a consonant are conjugated like I assumed... 작다 becomes 작은지

can somebody explain why it's like that and how I can distinguish those? (I do have a suspicion it could have something to do with action words/not action words...)

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hi,

This is because 먹다 and 사다 are verbs, while 작다 is actually an adjective. (Your guess is right. It has to do with action words / non-action words).

For verbs, you always put -는지 whether it ends in a consonant or a vowel.

하다 - 하는지
    먹다 - 먹는지

When it ends in ㄹ, however, ㄹ is dropped.

살다 - 사는지
    줄다 - 주는지

For adjectives, you put -ㄴ지 (if it ends in a vowel), or -은지 (if it ends in a consonant).

작다 - 작은지
    예쁘다 - 예쁜지

if it ends in ㅂ, then you drop the ㅂ and put -운지

아름답다 - 아름다운지
    차갑다 - 차가운지

There's really no way to distinguish verbs from adjectives by just looking at them. But if you know the meaning, it's usually pretty clear.

More resolved questions for learning Korean