I cannot understand this joke. Can you help me?

A drunken man staggers into a Catholic Church and sits down in a confession box and says nothing. The bewildered priest coughs to attract his attention, but still the man says nothing. The priest then knocks on the wall three times in a final attempt to get the man to speak, and finally the drunk replies: "No use knockin' mate - there's no paper in this one either!!"

Additional Details:

I know Christians go to a priest to confess. But I cannot understand the connection between paper, Catholic Church and confession.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The drunk guy thinks that he is sitting on a toilet where there's no paper. When the priest knocked on the wall, he automatically assumed that the priest had the same problem and was asking him to hand over some paper.

The joke here is that the drunk man wandered into the confession booth thinking that it was a lavatory (bathroom). The paper in this situation refers to toilet paper.

In short, the drunkard believes that the confession box is a toilet hence the "No use knockin' mate - there's no paper in this one either!!" Paper referring to toilet paper :)

The drunk thought the confession booth was a toilet.

Ethan is right. That drunk never meant to sit into that confession room, he thought he was sitting on a toilet and someone was knocking to get some toilet paper.

I think that in your joke the drunken man misunderstand the confession box for a restroom...