Please help me grasp the meaning of the word Thanks!

We go out to eat when we shouldn’t. I wish we could afford to eat out more often. We have a hard enough time keeping food on the table period 1)I feel so guilty when we do eat out cuz I think how much food we can buy at the grocery with that.

1)I don't understand what the word "period" means!

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The usage of "period" means that there is no debate on a fact. Just like an actual period means that the sentence is over, the speaker wishes uses period to emphasize something.

As you may know, a "period" is what we call the punctuation at the end of a declarative sentence. Sometimes people end a sentence by saying the word "period" to emphasize a statement that by itself has a very telling meaning. It implies that the listener might expect the statement to be longer, but the speaker can end there and make a point.

In this case, the speaker is saying that the family doesn't have much money, so he (or she) doesn't think it is good for them to eat out. The speaker starts by saying:

"We go out to eat when we shouldn’t. I wish we could afford to eat out more often."

The listener might hear this and think that the family has enough money to eat out, but the only problem is that they do it too often.

The speaker begins the next sentence with:

"We have a hard enough time keeping food on the table..."

The listener might expect the next part to be "...but we wouldn't have that problem if we ate out less." The speaker, however, says "period," meaning that no further conditions need to be put on the statement. The speaker is emphatically saying that even if they never ate out, they would still have money problems, so eating out is a bad idea.

In this context, it's similar to the phrases "as it is," "as it stands," or "already."

"As it is, we have a hard enough time keeping food on the table."

"As it stands, we have a hard enough time keeping food on the table."

"We already have a hard enough time keeping food on the table."

All of these sentences have the same meaning.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you still have questions!