How often is the formal low politeness level used in everyday conversation?

It's not really taught in any of the learning materials I've used thus far so I'm just wondering how often it's actually used. When listening to people speak I hear them end some verbs with -다, where it sounds like the infinitive. But since the formal low politeness level sounds the same so I was wondering if that could be it. I know there are a couple other grammar points that end in -다 but sometimes none of them seem to fit.

고마워요!

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    -니다 is a formal ending used in newscasts, military and other formal settings. But there are a few words like 감사합니다 (thank you) and 잘먹겠습니다 (I'll eat well) and name+입니다 (when presenting yourself) that are used when speaking polite but casually. In informal speech between friends, verb+다 is used a lot.