Which one is correct?

My question is whether I should use しに or するために in the following example:

いま、日本にべんきょうしに、いきたいです。

or

いま、日本にべんきょうするために、いきたいです。

In case my sentence does not make sense, what I wanted to write was: Now, I want to go to Japan to study.

For learning: Japanese
Base language: Japanese

Answers

OOPT

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Both are correct.

When you have いきます/きます/かえります as the main verb, ~に and ~ために are practically the same. It's just like "to do..." and "in order to do...." as Brain-san explained.

If I have to choose either one, I'd take the first one because shorter is better and more natural in most cases.
    いま、日本にべんきょうしにいきたいです。

Both are correct, although I would probably take out the second 、 in both sentences. To me the difference is akin to saying "I want to go to Japan to study" and "I want to go to Japan in order to study".

Both are OK, but I would go with the first one. It's better to say いま、べんきょうするために、日本にいきたいです。

Both sentences are correct and mean the same.

But the first sentence means more like
    - I want to go to Japan to study, now.

And the second one is more like
    - I want to go to Japan to do studying, now.
    (I know this is not a common expression in English, but direct translation would be like this.)

As for future reference, I would not put "、" between べんきょうしに or べんきょうするために, and いきたいです。 Also, for the "," in the beginning of the sentence, this one could be used (it's up to your preference;) however, I would not put it as well because the sentence would sound too "dramatic" for me somehow.

The asker's question and the answers are correct.
    I don't think most Japanese people care about the difference..

You could say
    将来 勉強するために日本に行きたい
    将来 日本に留学したい

いま ジュースを飲みたい (this is possible right now)
    いま 日本に行きたい ( this is kind of unrealistic) unless you're super rich enough to go by jet

However, true that 今 is correct.

For me, the second sentence sounds strange.
    >いま、日本にべんきょうするために、いきたいです。
     いま、べんきょうするために、にほんにいきたいです。
    is correct and natural.