Can you use the 기도 해요 construction in the same sentence as the first verb?

Just want to confirm:

In Talk To Me in Korean's Level 2 Lesson 14, they teach how to use 도 with verbs. Example:

나는 한국어를 공부해요. 그런데, 한국어를 가르치기도 해요 - I study Korean. However, I also teach Korean. (Is that correct?)

My question is, can you say the following?

나는 한국어를 공부하고, 가르치기도 해요. - I study and also teach Korean.

SECONDARY QUESTION:
They said that "기" is used to "make the verb into a noun." Is that really true? It seems to be more like a verb construction, similar to using 고 or 저마세요. I normally think the way to make verbs into nouns is by using 는 것.

Am I correct, or can something like 가르치기 stand alone or be used differently?

Thanks. :)

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    The first one, perfectly correct.
    The second one, ~기, 가르치기, 배우기, 밥먹기, 공부하기, 집에 가기, 친구 만나기....
    Mojave is quite right and I just add some more.
    ~기/~것/~ㅁ/음 are similar way of using 'to inf. and gerund' in English, to teach, to learn, .... teaching, learning, ...but 'to do' and 'doing' are not actually a noun, right?

However,
    my Korean dictionary says ~기 to used to make 'verb and adjective' 'noun' placing 기 after the stem of verb or adjective (translation).

I think there is a cultural difference and that makes something keeping learners and teachers from understanding each other. We think differently in speaking, so Korean teachers would say like that and I might say like that too, because we(Korean) understand that way.

I don't think it would be a big help but I hope 'my little help' would help you understand Korean.