How would you explain “chime” in the context?

Sometimes, when I reached G.W.’s, I’d wait just inside the wood line until whatever old pickup turned its last rusted quarter panel down the road, and I’d walk into the chime of the double doors through the dust it had left in its wake. I can’t really explain what that feeling was like. Shame, I guess. But that wasn’t all of it.

How would you explain “chime” in “I’d walk into the chime of the double doors”? Does it refer to the noise from opening the doors?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It refers to the sound of the doors, however I think it's unusual in this context because "chime" would usually be used for a bell sound or similar (for example, "Big Ben chimes every hour"). I cannot imagine what a chiming door would sound like. Maybe a bit of poetic license was used?